Sunday, 23 September 2012

Live Your Dream...

Untitled

Hello everyone - I hope you're having a good weekend! I had a little extra crafty time this weekend with my husband away - just me and my two boys so I took the chance to try out a little mixed media canvas. I found inspiration from the current gorgeous colour combo #63  at CR84FN and I based the layout on this weeks Waltzingmouse sketch WMSC#116.
Untitled
I created the background for the canvas by using patterned papers in shades of tan and denim blue, giving them a good coat of Mod Podge and then building up texture using stamps, masks, inks and paints. I mixed my own paints to get the tan colour i really wanted. I also used Faded Jeans and Frayed Burlap inks to stamp images from 'Teeny Trees' and the border from 'Victorian Frippery' - both by Waltzingmouse Stamps. The sentiment along the bottom says 'Live Your Dream' and I created it by cutting out letters individually from MME patterned paper. I added Kaisercraft rubons underneath each word and highlighted the individual letters using a black writing pen. I also went around the little butterflies and added some doodled zig-zags/scalloped borders here and there!
 I added some open weave trim, some beautiful Prima lace trim and some tiny flower buttons to create a border along the middle of the canvas.
Untitled
I finally got to grips with making some patterned paper flowers using 'Bitty Blossoms' (designed by Donna Salazar) for Spellbinders adding some die cut leaves from the same set, brushed over with some Frayed Burlap ink.  I also used the largest butterfly from 'Wonderful Wings' - also designed by Donna for Spellbinders as the centre piece for my tag. The tag itself is stamped with one of the circular images by WMS in Frayed Burlap and then edged with cream paint. I added some corrugated paper and used distress ink and a snippet of denim blue cotton lace to add a little colour. The cute chipboard birdcage is by Tando Creative and the sweet Made with Love charm is from The Ribbon Reel.
Untitled

I really had fun creating this piece - I felt there was no right or wrong, simply enjoying the process!!

I am also entering this into the September "Girlie Grunge" challenge over at Donna Salazar Designs to create a gift for a special person - this one will go to my mum.
Here are products I used, designed by Donna:


Spellbinders S5-086 Shapeabilities Bitty Blossoms Die Templates




Spellbinders grand Calibur Dies-Wonderful Wings


and here are the colour inspiration board and sketch that I mentioned earlier too...



Enjoy the rest of your weekend/week!!

Helen x

Supplies:
Papers: Blue Patterned paper: is Baby Mine "Adore" - Fancy Pants Design and too many others to mention!!
Ink: Frayed Burlap, Faded Jeans Disress Ink; Memento Paris Dusk
Acrylic Paint: Cream and Brown
Spellbinders: Bitty Blossoms; Wonderful Wings (Donna Salazar Designs)
Mod Podge Glue
Prima Lace, Twine, Made with Love Charm - The Ribbon Reel
Birdcage, Denim Blue Cotton Lace - The Stamp Attic




16 comments:

Pauline said...

Wowzers Helen! What a wonderful mixed media canvas! I love all the different stamps you used, the textures, and the fab butterfly (they are on my Christmas list!). This really is a stunning creation, I love love it!
Thanks for joining us at CR84Fn this week ;-)

Deborah Frings said...

Wow - this is just fabulous! There really is so much to see and admire on your canvas. Love the burlap ribbon with the buttons and lace. Thanks so much for playing along with CR84FN!

NanaConnie said...

Gorgeous butterfly and flower, Helen! I'm going to be checking out those dies now. :-D

Mona L. Pendleton said...

So pretty Helen! What a gorgeous canvas! The butterfly is beautiful and so is that flower is so pretty! Thanks for joining along with CR84FN :)

Teresa Kline said...

wow, this is gorgeous!

Carla said...

great card! Love the spellbinder to make the flowers, I putt it on my wishlist. Love from Holland.

Karin Ã…kesdotter said...

WOW Helen - this is amazing! All your wonderful details work so well together! Impressed as always, hugs, Karin

Marybeth said...

Wow that tag is so beautiful! Love all the gorgeous flowers too.

Sue Lelli said...

Helen this is a masterpiece! LOVE how much FUN it looks like you had with this! LOVE your handmade flowers and your little charm! THX for playing with us at CR84FN!

Jeanne J said...

Wow Helen! Just gorgeous! I hope you have a special place picked out for this beauty! I love all the close ups - especially the rolled flowers and the butterfly on the bird cage. This will be a delight to look at every day! SO many beautiful details!

Vickie Z said...

Wonderful!! One of these days I'm going to try the mixed media thing! Love all the little details....stamps, bird, cage, flowers, lace trim, letters!!!

Liz Thomson said...

Fabulous card and love the flowers and have used the same colour combo for my card

Shannon White said...

Wow! Helen this is just Gorgeous!! Love all the Wonderful texture and Beautiful Butterfly and Lovely rolled roses! Definitely loving the mixed media vibe too! Just Fabulous!! So glad you could join us at CR84FN! 8-)

Hugs
Shannon

CathyMc said...

Love all the textures and the subtle stamping you made for your background Helen. Love it!

Savitri said...

This is just stunning!!! I don't think you've ever made a non-stunning card! Just gorgeous and the texture is just so so yummy!!

Anne-Elise said...

Wow, this is just gorgeous, Helen! Love the flowers, the butterfly, the birdcage,... well all the amazing details! Stunning work! Have a great weekend! Hugs