Thursday, 6 September 2012

DYSU#88 - Birthday Owls



Hi,

It's Thursday and it's time for another fun challenge at DYSU. This week we would like to see your Birthday creations!!

I was very lucky to receive a stamp set from the wonderful sponsor for this week's challenge - 'The {Stamps} of Life' by Stephanie Barnard. I do hope you'll join us this week because 'The Stamps of Life' have put together a very generous prize and are offering one lucky person the chance to receive TWO of their wonderful stamp sets!!


The set I have used is called 'Owls 2 Love' which has the CUTEST images and sentiments.

Owls2love

My card features two little paperpieced owls using the largest owl outline stamps.  What is so great about this set, is that you have a seperate pair of eyes, two leg lenths, eye lashes and even eyebrows as individual stamps which means you can really go to town personalising your little critters.  

Untitled

I created the background by stamping the 'owl always love you' sentiment repeatedly in Desert sand ink and then a darker brown ink for the sentiment banner. I added some blue pupils to the 'OO' in Hooray - just couldn't help myself!  I used Sizzix die cutters to make the label shapes on this card. I used some lovely wide blue and white striped twill ribbon which I cut into a banner shape at the bottom.

dysu owls


I wanted my owls to be looking at each other, so I just stamped the pupils to one side and did the reverse on the other set of eyes. I used my copic markers to go in and add a little extra detail to their feathers and eyeballs, gave the blue owl some hair and the pink one some sweet eyelashes. I decided on these patterned papers in particular because I think they look a little like feathers :)

Untitled

I used one of the smaller owls from the Owls2Love stamp set inside the card too.  I stamped the cute little fella onto a stamped birthday label. I love how he's looking over at the sentiment!

Untitled

Don't forget you can find all the details of the Birthday challenge on the DYSU Blog as well as the fabulous creations from the rest of the DT!

Have a great crafty week!

Helen
x x x

9 comments:

Pauline said...

Absolutely gorgeous Helen! I love these paper pieced owls, and the fun googly eyes! Beautiful card!

Denise and Louise said...

I love this card!! Those owls are so cute and the papers are perfect. Brilliant layout too.
Hugs
Denise xx

Vickie Z said...

This is adorable!!! Love those owls, the layout, and big striped ribbon!

Jeanne J said...

Love your owls Helen! That side view is amazing - all those fab layers and layers!

NanaConnie said...

Perfect paper piecing, Helen! These are adorable owls, and I'm sure they will end up in my collection. They're just too cute not to have. :-D

Davi said...

What a darling card Helen! The owls are so sweet with the fun layers and the sentiment makes me laugh :)

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Oh how fun Helen! This card is a real hoot :) Love the sweet owls!

princesskitten said...

Love all those layers Helen

Ren-Yi said...

OH Helen - this is so fun. I love the fun pattern paper and how you paper pieced the owls together. Those two owls have such fun textures and great embellishments. And the ribbon is just lovely! You have such inspiring creations, Helen!