Monday, 16 April 2012

TRR#26 - There is no-one like you...

Good morning and welcome to another fun challenge at The Ribbon Reel!!

My good friend Pauline is our wonderful host this fortnight and she asks that we make something based on the colours found in the inspiration picture below, use Ribbon PLUS something Recycled!! Sounds fun!



I decided to alter a papier mache heart Magnet which I seem to have had in my stash for quite a while - and here it is attached to the metal notice-board in my kitchen.

TRR26 HEART MAGNET

My 'Recycled' item is an old Simplicity Dressmaking pattern which I have used to create the puffy flower you see here.

TRR26 FLOWER

I simply cut lots and lots of layers of the tissue using the Spellbinders Floral Doily die, scrunched and secured in the centre using a large brad.  I used some Matt effect Mod Podge glue to cover the entire heart in more of the dressmaking pattern tissue,  thereby creating an interesting textured background and basis for the paint.

TRR26 BGROUND

I used pale blue acrylic paint as a base colour and then used some recycled bubble wrap, covered in lilac paint to add some polka dots!! love this effect!! I used some cream paint to wash over the top and then put aside to dry for a little while.

As I was thinking along the lines of 'recycling', I thought about metallic materials and was drawn to the Gold Silky Crush ribbon from The Ribbon Reel which I wrapped across the top of the heart.  I then picked out the pinky colour from the inspiration pic and pleated some pink floral cotton lace and wrapped it over the silky gold ribbon.  I created some lovely loops of charcoal grey seam binding (which has a gorgeous, almost metallic sheen to it irl) and the glued the tissue paper flower on top.

IMG_5870

I stamped a little sentiment from an old Hero Arts stamp set, cut-out by hand and then distressed using Tea Dye and Antique Linen Distress Ink

trr26 label

To give a nice neat finish, I used some of TRR's pretty blue and white striped grosgrain ribbon to edge all the way around the outside of the heart.

TRR26 EDGE

Thanks so much for looking and for visiting my blog today.  I hope that you will get the chance to play along with this great challenge - we would love to see what you create!!  Visit The Ribbon Reel blog for more information and don't forget to check out what the other DT ladies have made to inspire you today!!  Have a super-crafty week!

Big Hugs,

Helen
xxx

Supplies:
All ribbon and lace from The Ribbon Reel Shop
Recycled: Bubble Wrap, Simplicity Dress making pattern
Stamps: Hero Arts
Acrylic Paint - do-crafts
Ink: Rich Cocoa - Memento; Antique Linen, Tea Dye Distress Ink - Ranger


4 comments:

Pauline said...

This is beautiful Helen, what a lovely piece of home decor. I love the paper ruffled flower, and the textured background you created, a fabulous project!

Connie C said...

WOW -- Gorgeous, Helen !! Love all the frilly details and the flower is spectacular.

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Oh my Helen! This is a stunning shabby project! Love the tissue paper flower and pink lace trim! Thanks for the inspiration!

Michelle said...

Helen, that flower is breath-taking!!! I love the beautiful brad and lace!