Wednesday, 14 March 2012

WMSC88 - A Wall Hanging for Mum...home is where you are...

MUM 2ND PLAQUE


Hello lovely blog buddies!

I hope you are having a great week :)  I have been enjoying my new Waltzingmouse goodies the past few days *happy sigh* and managing to find some 'inky' time.

It's Mothers Day this Sunday here in the UK, so I needed to get creative!! 

WMSC88

I orginally had a card in mind which then "evolved" into a Wall Hanging for Mother's Day.  The layout (3 square panels in a row) is based on the current sketch by Renee Lynch over at the Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge Blog.  


As you can see, I decided to flip the sketch simply to hang it vertically rather than horizontally - it just seemed to work better for me this way :).

MUM 1ST PLAQUE

I used the Green Room Designs (Anya's) 'Heirloom patterns' stamp set from Waltzingmouse Stamps and stamped three different patterns (lattice, diamonds and houndstooth) onto aqua cardstock using versamark ink and heat embossed using white embossing powder. I then cut three squares using one of the smaller Labels One Die cuts by Spellbinders and then mounted it onto patterned paper and more aqua cardstock. 

I hope you can see the defined squares - I did sponge some Antique Linen distress ink along the edges to try and define them a little. I then added some sheer ruffle edge ribbon from The Ribbon Reel and some sweet hot-pink Prima roses.  

MUM MIDDLE BIRDS

I stamped one of the smaller doily images from the Dainty Doilies Large set in pink and hand cut inside and out to make a circular frame.  I wanted the houndstooth underneath to show through.  The sweet little birds and heart image from Nordic Spring are stamped in black onto pink paper and then simply cut out and then mounted on top using foam dimensionals.

MUM 3RD PLAQUE

The sentiment "Mum...home is where You are"  is made up of phrases from the Roses in Bloom' set. I simply stamped, cut it out, sponged/distressed it a little and mounted onto the main panel.  The main background is simple corrugated card to which I added some Teal Cosmic Mist and Antique Linen Distress Link.

Finally I added some cotton lace to the bottom panel, more fuschia pink pearls to finish and threaded some pearl beaded chain through the small pink eyelets at the of the hanger.

Have a fabulous rest of the week and Happy Mothers Day to all the UK mums celebrating this weekend!

Helen x


Links to other Challenges entered:
Daring Cardmakers - Tessellation - (I'm short on hexagons, so hope squares and patterns on them will do!)




Supplies; 
Waltzingmouse stamps: Dainty Doilies Large; Roses in Bloom; Nordic Spring; Heirloom Patterns
Ink: Memento Pink Petunia, Tuxedo Black, Versamark
Papers: Basic Grey - Out of Print
Cardstock: White - Dovecraft;  Aqua Mist Papertrey Ink
Ribbon: Sheer Ruffle Edge Ribbon - The Ribbon Reel
Pink roses: Prima
Other: White embossing powder - Stampin up







20 comments:

Kelly S. said...

Oh what a GREAT way to use the sketch, Helen! I love the rustic charm with the woodgrain background and the sweet birdies. That sentiment goes perfectly with the birdies! Your heirloom patterns look beautiful inked up that way. What a treasure for your Mum :)!!

Gabi MeWi said...

Your Mum will love this - so gorgeous...

Jeanne J said...

Oh Helen another beauty! You Mom will love this! I love the colors, and your background stamping. Thanks for sharing the technique - I was wondering how you got the two colors on the background - brilliant! And that sweet bird stamp - perfect! If you have siblings they are going to be mad that you got your Mom the best gift!

brenda said...

A very pretty wall hanging Helen and such a clever take on the sketch.

Thanks so much for joining in our Say it with Flowers theme at Allsorts this week, good luck and hope to see you again.

B x

Samm said...

This is gorgeous!! great work!


Thanks for joining in with DCM this week!

Samm
x

Pauline said...

A beautiful
Wall hanging, such a special gift for your mum this weekend. Hope you have a wonderful mothers day too, my eldest is at netball camp this weekend, and not back until 3pm on Sunday, so I'm hoping my younger ones wil bring me a cuppa in bed!
Enjoy xx

Karen M said...

What mum wouldn't love to get such a pretty gift as this! It's a wonderful idea, to make a wall hanging, that mum can show off to everybody! Super Kx

Elaine said...

What a gorgeous gift Helen .......FAB
Hugs Elaine

CathyMc said...

What a beautiful creation Helen. I love the soft touches you added. Gorgeous!

Edna Morrisedie said...

Awesome detailing on this card, aren't the birds just THE BEST!!! Fab use of the sketch and all the stamps, a rocking card.... Thanks for playing along with the Mischief Makers this week!

Leo said...

Really pretty!
Yep I think there's enough tessellating going on there ;)
Thanks for going in with Daring Cardmakers.
x Leo

Fleur said...

A stunning hanger, great details.
Thank you so much for entering our challenge at ALLSORTS this week, good luck & hope you’ll join us again!
I have candy if your interested
http://fleurapassionforcraft.blogspot.com/
Hugz Fleur xXx

Keilly said...

Just gorgeous Helen, love it (might have to CASE it for my mum!) xx

Claire said...

Great idea to do a wall hanging Helen - so pretty and I love the soft floral colour scheme

cbuswell said...

Oh Helen, this is just gorgeous!!! I love it!!

Renee said...

You scared me there for a second...
Mother's day isn't till May here...
and now you know I need LOTS of coffee in the mornings before my brain actually turns on! :)
This is truly gorgeous Helen...
love all the elements with this...
such a creative take on the sketch...
and your mom will truly treasure this gorgeous creation!

Jean Martin said...

Helen! Oh my goodness!!!! This is soooo beautiful!!! I love it!!!! Thank you for sharing this with us at WMSC! :)

JJ Bolton said...

As usual, this is just lovely Helen! Great idea to turn to the sketch sideways:) I adore what you did with the embossing and ink, gorgeous!

Lenet said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! I bet you make your mum very happy with it. Yhanks for joining us at wmsc.

Kim Duran said...

Helen, this is gorgeous! I want it for my very own! lol! I especially love the white corrugated background. Perfect! What a great use of this weeks sketch at Waltzingmouse!