Tuesday, 27 March 2012

TT91 Pixie Cottage - Grandad Bear Birthday Card



Hello and welcome to another post I'm sharing as DT member for Tuesday Throwdown.  The team are lucky enough to be sponsored by Pixie Cottage this week and are showcasing some of their wonderful digital stamp images for you to enjoy.  We are also demonstrating a technique (new to me) which is the "Out of the Box" technique.  Basically, taking an image and fussy cutting a part of it, then using a die to cut around the rest.  It's a great technique and really just adds a little extra interest.  I found the following fabulous video really helpful getting to grips with this technique...



TT91 Pixie Cottage/Out of the Box

When I saw this image, I couldn't help thinking of my dad pushing my sons around their garden in the wheelbarrow - not sure how safe it was - but to hear the giggles is priceless and my boys will never forget it I'm sure :) My dad's birthday is in April, so this is a perfect birthday card for him.

The Pixie Cottage image I have used here is called "Barnie's Fall Ride" and I simply printed onto cream cardstock, coloured with Copics and then cut according to the "out of the box" technique.  I decided to leave the bigger bear's head slightly proud of the die cut circle.  The little leaves at the top were added after (OK, so it was a little tricky to work around the head AND the leaves, so it was easier to go back and stick them on after! LOL)

TT91 MAIN IMAGE

Here's a close-up of that lovely label - I used Spellbinders Fancy Labels to cut out the shape, sponged with Antique Linen Distress Ink.  I don't own a stamp that says 'Grandad' so I used the (Grand)pa and (D)ad sentiments from Papertrey Ink's 'Men of Life' stamp set to make the word. The small teardrop ink pads from Memento make this a lot easier.

tt91 sentiment
I hope that you will give this technique a try - I surprised myself with this!  It's fun learning new things :)

For more details on this challenge, to take part and to see what the other DT members have created, click here.

Have a great Tuesday :)

Supplies:

Papertrey Ink: Men of Life
Ink: Memento - Rich Cocoa; Antique Linen & Tea Dye Distress Ink
Patterned Paper: Out of Print - Basic Grey 6x6 paper pad
Cardstock: Brocade Blue - Stampin Up; Cream - Colorbase
Cotton Twill: The Ribbon Reel
Spellbinders: Labels Eight; Fancy Tags. Standard Circles Large
Other: Adhesive Pearls - Kaisercraft; Copic Markers;



8 comments:

Shannon White said...

Awww, this is so Adorable Helen! Love the Sweet image! And I bet your Dad had just as much fun as your sons, 8-) He is going to Love this Lady! 8-)

Hugs
Shannon

Pauline said...

Oh so sweet Helen, your dad will cherish this! Great use of this technique too!

NanaConnie said...

Great video tutorial, Helen, and your 'out of the box' work is really fantastic! Love the papers.

Elaine said...

Wow Helen what a fabulous card.
I love all the papers, and the image is fantastic.
I love it Hugs Elaine

Michelle said...

Adorable card and sweet memories.

Davi said...

Fab card for your dad Helen, I love the dps and fun image! What a perfect image as a reminder of the fun time your boys had with your dad. Makes me smile just hearing the story L:)

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Cute card Helen! Love the story that you shared :)

Inkyfingers said...

Lovely card Helen and thanks for the tips in the out of the box technique. All kids love their Grandad!