Monday, 14 November 2011

The Ribbon Reel TRR #15

TRR #15

Hi and welcome - it's time for a new challenge over at The Ribbon Reel Challenge Blog. The talented Zuzana is hosting the challenge for the next two weeks and provided the stunning picture you see here. Join in by creating a card or project using butterflies and the colours from the inspirational photo.



I adore butterflies and wanted to do something different to my usual soft muted colours so I picked out the bolder yellows, blue and the two tone oranges you see here. Many of the butterflies in the picture have a dark outline around their wings and I wanted to reflect this little detail on my card, so I edged the top level wings on my butterfly with dark ink. I kept the background neutral by using patterned paper from Pink Paislee and then added a zig zag stitched border.

TRR #15 side view

Here's a closer look at those stunning ribbons, the beautiful pearl lace trim and the gorgeous cherry blossom flower which are all available from The Ribbon Reel.

TRR #15 FLOWER RIBBON DETAIL

The two-tone orange mesh ribbon is truly stunning in real life - not only a beautiful colour but also the texture of it ties the most amazing bow which stays put! I added a touch of blue seam binding and yellow grosgrain to tie all the colours together - also not forgetting the exquisite ivory lace and pearls trim. I added a little extra colour to my cherry blossom flower using a copic marker and a blender pen to make the petals look as though they are edged in blue :-)
The beautiful scalloped circle was cut from K&Co paper using Blossom nestabilities. I then used a butterfly die (which is a narrow strip) to cut out the tiny butterflies you see there behind the main butterfly. I placed some yellow cardstock at the back of the scallop so that the butterflies really shine through.
I saved a couple of the butterfly shapes which were cut out of the paper and adhered them in place at the top left corner of the card.
The main butterfly is cut using the Spellbinders 'Wonderful Wings' butterfly die set. I simply added a cream button topped off with a crystal gem and some twine for the antenna. The sentiment is stamped in Walnut Stain Distress Ink and is from the In Bloom stamp set by Papertrey Ink.

Don't forget to pop on over to The Ribbon Reel Challenge Blog to check out what the rest of the Design Team have dreamed up to inspire you. Oh and don't forget to play along of course, there's another bundle of goodies up for grabs! Have a great week!

Helen xxx

Supplies:
Ribbon, twine, lace pearl trim, cherry blossom flower all from The Ribbon Reel
Stamps: In Bloom - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Tim Holtz Walnut Stain Distress Ink by Ranger
Papers: Nantucket - Pink Paislee; K&Co - Que Sera Sera Floral Collage
Cardstock: Kraft - Bazill; Yellow from stash
Die Cutting: Memory Box Craft Dies 'Butterfly Delights'; Spellbinders Nestabilities - Blossom; Spellbinders 'Wonderful Wings'
Blue Copic marker: B41

4 comments:

Mona L. Pendleton said...

WOW Helen! What a stunning card! That 3D butterfly is beautiful and I love the lace/pearl combo trim! So elegant!

Sue Lelli said...

Helen, I LOVE that ribbon from the ribbon reel and how it just brings out the colors from those butterfly images! LOVE YOUR butterflies, the main one with the twine antennae and those teeny tiny ones fluttering all over your Beautiful card! Just FABULOUS!

Pauline said...

Absolutely gorgeous Helen, so soft and pretty, I love the due cut butterfly shape, and the beautiful ribbons and pearls make a very elegant card. Stunning!

Zuzana Obert said...

Helen, sorry I am late, welcome to TRR Design Team! I love your cards a lot they are so inspiring and so stunning. You are very talented.

Zuz. x x (hug)