Tuesday, 17 August 2010

August Waltzingmouse Blog Waltz



Dear all,

Welcome to my blog for this August Waltzingmouse Blog Waltz!! The theme this month is Vintage/shabby.

The summertime cold seems to be doing the rounds in our house at the moment, so I don't have a card to share today, but do have a couple of other Vintage/Shabby inspired projects I created recently to show you. I do really hope you like them - I don't find this style particularly easy, but always like to have a good go!!.

The first is a scrap page which I did for my children to give to their Grandma for her birthday.....I should apolgize for my lousy photography!!







The second set of projects were inspired by this post by Lisa Johnson. I have always loved soaps and used to collect them when I was a little girl. My very first soap was a beautiful Lavender soap my sister brought home for me when she went on a school trip to the Alsace area in France back in the early '80s. I never dreamed I would be making my own, but was so inspired by Lisa's post I just had to get involved!!
I love using clear stamps in new and different ways, and soap making is no exception - you can use your stamps in a soap mould to create the most beautiful, unique (& also practical) gifts. Trust me, your stamps will be fine. Full instructions on how to use clear stamps for soap making can be found here on the Soap Queen blog.

I used the most beautiful Vintage looking Rose from Claire's "Roses in Bloom" stamp set to create my soap from scratch. I used and organic melt & pour soap base and added some Lavender essential oil for fragrance and some Aloe Vera Gel for it's skin moisturising properties.

Here is the rose stamp in the bottom of the square shaped soap mould....


After spritzing mould and stamp with some Surgical Spirit (Rubbing Alcohol) to stop the soap from sticking in the mould (bit like greasing a baking tin) I added some melted soap which I had coloured blue to the flower stamp and let it dry for 3-4 minutes.



I then went ahead and added the second white mixture and left to set for 4 hours and here's the end result - a pretty Waltzingmouse Stamps soap!!! Add some Vintage looking lace and you're done!!




I am hooked-what to try next??!! My mind is racing now about all my other stamps - so exciting!! I can just see the rabbit or lamb stamp images from "L'il Buddies" stamp set on a soap next. My boys love using their special homemade bumble bee soap!

These are some of the very first Lavender and Aloe Vera soaps I made which i gave as gifts recently....





I hope you've enjoyed what you've seen today and hope you enjoy the rest of the Waltz. I apologize if you're not as excited by soaps as me!! Hope you weren't too bored!! :)

Thanks for looking and hope to see you soon x

Helen x

Supplies for Scrapbook Page:

Stamps: Waltzingmouse Stamps: Fancy Phrases; Very Vintage Labels 4; Seasons of Love - Tags
Amy Butler Clear Stamps: K&Co Lotus Floral stamp set
Ink: Versamark, Cameo Coral - stampin up; Tea Dye Distress Ink - Tim Holtz
Patterned Paper: Waltzingmouse Victorian digi paper collection in cream
Cream cardstock: Papermill
Websters Pages - Sparklers Vintage Scalloped Buttons; Bloomers Flower Trim
Adhesive Pearls: Kaiser Craft
Prima - Cameo Roses in Mandarin
Fiskars Squeeze Corner Punch

Supplies for Soap:
Stamps: Roses in Bloom - Waltzingmouse Stamps; Set of 4 soaps: Round & Round - Papertrey Ink; Butterfly soap: Amy Butler Lotus Floralstamps (as above)
Soap Moulds & cosmetic grade colouring: I found mine on ebay (UK) or here (US)
Organic Melt & Pour SLS/SLES free soap base: Auldhill Soap Company
Lavender Essential Oil, Aloe Vera Gel 99.9% pure - Local Health Food Shop
Surgical Spirit/Rubbing Alcohol: Local Pharmacy

24 comments:

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Love the soaps!

Pauline said...

Wow, beautiful scrapbook page, but the soaps look stunning, and I'm sure they smell stunning too! Where did you get the soap making kit from? xx

Joanne Gilch said...

Ok, you are right ..I do not get excited about soaps like you do...til NOW. the pink butterfly is gorgeous but my fave is the blue and white WMS....go figure.
P.S. I do like to wash with soap!!!!

Melissa said...

So stunning! I love how you incorporated the stamps into your page!

Your soaps are amazing!

Julia Aston said...

First Helen - your page is so lovely for grandma with the beautiful flowers and colors - and your soap is just terrific! what a great result you got using the stamps to mold the top of the soaps!! I've got to try this out!! thanks for the wonderful inspiration!!

cbuswell said...

WOW, WOW, WOW.... genius, love all your projects but wow I love the soap, I'm going to HAVE to try that one, I love soaps, especially fancy pretty soaps, thanks for sharing this project!!! LOVE IT!!!

anya said...

Your page is beautiful, Helen - do love all the vintage bits you've incorporated. And your soap is amazing - I, too, was floored by Lisa Johnson's soap projects and yours are amazing too! I must resist!

Bonnie said...

Oh my word these are gorgeous! Love these soaps!

Latisha said...

WOW!!

Heidi said...

Your scrapbook page is fantastic and the soap is unbelievable!! You did a wonderful job!

Helen L said...

Wow! you are amazing!! I love the lace, ribbon, bow with the "we love you" tag on the scrapbook page, and the soaps are to die for!! Amazing, Amazing! I love your examples, and it's tempting to try the soaps.

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Holy smokes! Your scrapbook page is oozing Shabbiness & those soaps are gorgeous!!! WOW - so creative!

Laurie Marmon said...

What great projects! I love how you incorporated WMS in your layout - I agree they aren't just for cards! And the soaps are just fab! Beautiful!

Genevieve said...

Your scrapbook page is gorgeous & the soaps....WOW!!!!!!!!

Jenny said...

GORGEOUS!! Your page is absolutely pretty!! And I just love the soap! I wish I got a gift like that, you should sell it in an etsy shop :) :) :) I would love to give those as gifts.

Janet said...

Wow--how amazing!

Meredith said...

My mum used to make soap, but the old fashioned way that took AGES to make, then even longer to cure... I love your method, and you've inspired me to maybe give this a try!! How fun for Christmas gifts, and still incorporating my favorite hobby - stamping! I also love your scrapbook page, it's so pretty, and I love the ribbon :)

Belinda said...

Absolutely lovely! The scrapbook page is just perfect and the soaps are AMAZING! :)

Ren-Yi said...

yikes. just when i thought i was in for such a treat seeing your scrapbook page (lovely use of your tag and vintage-y ribbon), and then the soap! they all look wonderful and you have inspired with great new ideas. what a great post.

Kelly S. said...

Oh my WORD, Helen! This is quite the post, there are sooo many beautiful things to look at! The scrapbook page is so sweet and those soaps are out of this world! I love the bright blue with the white on the edge...and the lace...who woulda thought soap could be so pretty. I would never ever ever ever use it, hee! AWESOME waltzing inspiration!

Tracey Cuccia said...

ok - first of all - that rosette trim on your layout is just AMAZING -- In addition - those soaps are SO COOL! You could just be the next Martha Stewart...atta girl!

Charmaine Stack said...

What a treat to come across your post in the blog walts tonight. Lovely scrap page and the soaps were amazing!

Lisa Hjulberg said...

The layout is precious, and those soaps are AMAZING!!! Well done!!!

Stephanie said...

Hi Helen,
I received your beautiful bar of soap yesterday & was absolutely blown away, I thought it was store bought until I realised it matched the card!!!! I absolutely love it & I love your blog too :) Thanks you so much, you're a little gem, Stephanie xxx